The New Patriotic Party after coming into office, made a lot of promises to Ghanaians and for such reason, expectations were high for the Akufo-Addo led administration to deliver on it promises.
Down the drain, some Ghanaians have lauded government for being able to deliver more than half of it campaign promises made to them prior to the 2016 general elections. Others are also of the view that government has not being truthful to them not delivering on it promises such as building of 250 school in it 18 months, using the Korle Lagoon for pond and tourist attraction and so much more.
But we believe no one is perfect. And we bring to light some major achievements by the Akufo-Addo led administration that could possibly win them another term in office.
- Free Senior High school Policy: Free Senior High school initiative was implemented by President Akufo-Addo September 2017. It was a major campaign promise of the NPP prior to the 2016 election. The Akufo-Addo led administration main aim of introducing this policy is to make education accessible and free to all. The policy has given hope to 100,000 young men and women who would have been in the house after their basic education and about 1.2 million students are currently benefitting from the policy. Due to the large number of students who has to be absorbed into the various Senior High schools across the country, government has introduced the double track system which put students into categories of two thus, the green track and the gold track. The Green Track represents the first batch of students who would go to school for a semester and are later followed by the Gold Track students who would continue after students of the green track session have vacated on the academic calendar.
- Galamsey fight: Galamsey is a major challenge to many Ghanaians living in communities where they depend on river for domestic use. Activities of illegal miners has polluted many of our water bodies which we depend on for our livelihood. It is no doubt that President Akufo-Addo fight against illegal mining made him unpopular but the President who is bent on putting his presidency on the line fought hard to see to the proper mining in our water bodies. Due to this, the president set up Inter-Ministerial committee to help fight this menace.
- Reduction in car import bills: Government in 2019 announced the reduction of duties charged on every vehicle imported into the country by 50% and 30% respectively. This move is to balance the value of the product to the cost involved in clearing the product.
- Ekumfi factory: The Ekumfi pineapple factory is part of the one District one factory program implemented by the Akufo-Addo led administration which sought to establish locally owned factories to boost commercialisation of local product. The Ekumfi pineapple factory under the one District one factory policy is expected to create about 7,000 to 15, 000 jobs per district, and 1.5 million to 3.2 million nationwide by the end of 2020.
- Year of Return: The Year of Return Initiative was formally launched by President Akufo-Addo in Washington DC in 2018 as a way of uniting Africans in the Diaspora with Africans back home and also bring investors into the country to boost the Ghana’s economy. The Year 2019 reminds us of 400 years ago the first enslaved Africans touched down in Jamestown, Virginia in the United States. Big names such as actor Samuel L. Jackson, Steve Harvey, Ludacris and Rick Ross all traveled to Ghana to unite with their own.